Thursday, April 30, 2009

A bit of poetry . . .

I like these lines from a poem by Jack Gilbert (disclaimer:  I know nothing about Jack Gilbert, I simply found this when surfing one of my favorite poetry sites).  These are the opening and closing lines of his poem "Failing and Flying".  I like the idea of finding things to celebrate in the middle of apparent failures.  The rest of the poem is a bit more real world and not as enlightening.  You can read it here:  http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/16872
Everyone forgets that Icarus also flew . . .
I believe Icarus was not falling as he fell,
but just coming to the end of his triumph.  
If I were not so tired, I'd load a photo with this blog.  Maybe tomorrow . . . maybe in June!  I used to write poetry when I was a college English major.  I was scared off and intimidated when another student ridiculed a poem that I had written poetry workshop.  Maybe I ought to try again . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment